Re: Request for help on follow up items from the last call

Thanks, Mike!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:

> I think a lot of the confusion comes from having to read different docs,
> the IETF RFCs and W3C (mainly FP).

The nice thing about having primitives is that you can compose them. The
bad thing about compositions is that you have to understand all the
primitives. :/

> The main fingerprinting risk IMO comes from the ability of subresources to
> request it, and the original CH RFC just said the opt-in was optional i.e.
> 2.1 in:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-06
>
> The opt-in is in the issues discussion about FP but not yet in the
> published draft, though the issue is mentioned in 9.12
>
> https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-feature-policy/
>

> Your  RFC covering language headers:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-lang-client-hint-00
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-lang-client-hint-00#section-3.1>
>
> is much better as it has the paras about delegation (3.2) and Access
> restrictions (3.3)

I agree that Client HInts itself is in a confusing state.

AFAICT, there are several clarifying PRs against HTML and Fetch that the
folks working on Client Hints have had a hard time landing (the list at
https://github.com/WICG/lang-client-hint#wait-a-minute-i-dont-see-this-delegation-stuff-in-the-client-hints-spec
was, at one point, exhaustive). I believe the current plan is for +Yoav
Weiss <yoavweiss@google.com> to put together a single document full of
monkey-patches against HTML and Fetch so that we can have a conversation
about what the state they're intending to land on.

Does the existing Chromium implementation block subresources from using CH
> now, or does it already support the upcoming FP opt-in?

+Yoav Weiss <yoavweiss@google.com> and/or +Ilya Grigorik
<igrigorik@google.com> will know things about Chromium's current state. I
do know that implementation of the Feature Policy integration is only just
kicking off this quarter.

-mike