Re: Request for help on follow up items from the last call

Hey folks,

I'm excited to see interest in the topic, and I'm sorry I wasn't involved
in the conversation y'all apparently had last week. While I have opinions,
I think I'll leave discussion of the wider CH infrastructure to clever
folks like +Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com> and +Yoav Weiss
<yoavweiss@google.com>, who know more about the background and context than
I do. They will likely have opinions about the most effective places to
have conversations about that (which is a little confusing at the moment,
as things are sliding between IETF, W3C, WICG, etc).

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:16 AM Nick Doty <npdoty@ischool.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> The other part of my interest for background/motivating data was around
> the `User-Agent` and `Lang` replacements specifically. If we understood the
> particular use cases for different parts of a User-Agent string, we could
> do a better job evaluating what should (or shouldn’t) be exposed where.

The explainers at https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints and
https://github.com/WICG/lang-client-hint attempt to lay out use cases for
these hints. Are those documents not detailed enough? Or not compelling?

> That’s more specific to Mike West’s proposed draft, and I don’t know if
> there is a WG discussing that yet or not. What's the right venue for
> discussion of that?

https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints and
https://github.com/WICG/lang-client-hint are the relevant GitHub
repositories. I find issues filed there to be pretty useful in focusing
conversations, and creating an easily-linked archive for future perusal.
I'd be happy to chat with y'all about your concerns for these specific
proposals there if you like.

WICG has good-enough IP protection for folks who care about that sort of
thing, which makes it convenient, but I'd be equally happy to discuss in
some other forum if that's simpler for y'all.

-mike

P.S. Please do feel free to CC me on emails if my feedback would be
helpful. I'm _really_ bad at following lists these days. I'm almost equally
bad at responding to more direct pings, but there's at least a chance... :)