Re: Request Privacy review of HTML5.3

On Fri, 25 May 2018 01:11:26 +0200, Nick Doty
<npdoty@ischool.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> A few notes on other changes in HTML5.3 that have some privacy
> significance. Nothing major here, and I think <a ping=""> should be the
> focus, but >I'd also welcome any feedback on these notes. Am I
> interpreting these pieces correctly? Any changes we should recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> ## `capture` attribute
>
> There are some nice privacy advantages to using this model of
> user-directed input for camera access and it's nice to see that
> reflected in the HTML >spec.
>
>> The capture attribute is defined in the [html-media-capture]
>> specification. Implementors should note the requirements on user agents
>> defined in that >specification have security and privacy implications.
>
> Is this intended to parse as "implementors should note *that* the
> requirements on user agents have security and privacy implications"?

Yes.

Feel free to file an issue on this yourself and I will fix it.

> The Media Capture spec's Security and privacy considerations section is
> non-normative; it explicitly doesn't add those as normative requirements
> on >the UA. Perhaps it should; the advice about stripping invisible,
> sensitive metadata (the example is EXIF data, which might include
> geolocation) seems >especially important.
>
> There are privacy implications to other requirements in that spec. For
> example, the UA is forbidden from saving captured media to storage,
> which >seems like a privacy advantage, although I could imagine some
> abuse or violation of user preferences from that requirement.
>
> Is this just a general reminder to implementers that they should
> consider security and privacy when implementing this other specification?

 From an HTML perspective, we just include the hook so people can see it
and be referred to the relevant spec. I added the note because  there are
privacy implications in implementing that spec.

>> The capture attribute requests a specific microphone or camera for the
>> media capture mechanism, for example the user-facing and outward facing
>> >cameras on smartphones. It has one of the two values user or
>> envorinment.
>
> "environment" is misspelled in this note.

Yep. That got fixed yesterday...

> ## `allowusermedia` attribute
>
> Provides a way for a site to explicitly provide permission for an
> embedded frame to use the getUserMedia API. Cool.
>
> Shivan has pointed out that this attribute could be more granular, and
> that ongoing work in Feature Policy would provide a more specific
> delegation >of permission. For example, a site might want to indicate
> that the embedded iframe should be able to access the camera, but not
> the user's microphone.
>
> That kind of granularity might be a goal for future work, and
> development/adoption of Feature Policy might have implications for
> changes to the >HTML spec, but doesn't need to be a blocker at the
> moment.

Yeah, and we don't define it ourselves for HTML...

> ## some security fixes
>
> https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/1285
>
> The warning on the autofill attribute seems particularly important. Do
> we know whether UAs have implemented mitigations for this threat?

We believe so. I also expect an editorial update on that section next week
to make it clearer.

> ## open privacy issues
>
> There are a couple open issues on the privacy implications of audio. Are
> these scheduled for a later milestone?
>
> https://github.com/w3c/html/labels/privacy

Yeah, they should be dealt with in the next milestone.

As another note, I think it would be worth pointing out that there are
privacy implications scattered through the document, but there is no place
that gathers them all, and it would be very helpful if there were.

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals: Charles (McCathie) Nevile find more at https://yandex.com