Question over studies of user choice re privacy/security and retention

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:39:14 +0200
To: public-privacy@w3.org
This seems like a simple question but it has a real effect on Web
standards.

Do we have any good studies that show how many users *actually* drop off
when presented with a choice?

By "choice" I mean anything from a "Do you accept cookies" in the
European E-cookie directive to the "Would you like to share your camera
and microphone" with WebRTC In particular,

- Does the drop off rate depend on the number of choices? For example,
having three choices may cause larger drop off than two.

- Does the drop off rate change if there are multiple dialogues? For
example, two sets of two choices?

- Does this hold up uniformly regardless of context, i.e. security
properties such as TLS as opposed to geolocation?

- Do we have any idea what kind of text or visual cues users respond to
when given choices?

I am of course still interested in EME [1], so having some idea of how
this plays out in terms of academic studies would be great. I hear lots
of rumors, but I would prefer to read actual studies.

  cheers,

      harry

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Aug/0049.html