Re: Request for feedback: Media Capture and Streams Last Call

On Jun 30, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Nick Doty <npdoty@w3.org <mailto:npdoty@w3.org>> wrote:
>
> I would prefer it if we could design APIs as much as possible so that browsers don't need to make a choice between functionality and exposing additional information about a user. Yes, users should be able to just turn off functionality together and sometimes will feel the need to do so, but if we can design a feature so that a large number of use cases don't require such a trade-off, then we can benefit from that.
>
> Sure, but I don't think shoving more permissions dialogs at the user is the right way to do it.
> Martin Thomson has suggested using double keying here. Would people consider that
> satisfactory?

Have to get on a plane, so can't reply to all your comments in this thread in detail right now, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely agree that adding more permission prompts isn't necessarily the answer, and likely isn't.

Can you or Martin detail what the double-keyed proposal would be?

The number of permission prompts wouldn't need to change if some of the values exposed are just exposed *after* granting permission to access the camera or microphone.

> As it is now, do user agents that want to block access to a list of attached webcam devices have to completely block use of WebRTC, even when there's a permission grant?
>
> AFAIK, yes.

:'(
This seems an unnecessary loss to me.

—Nick