Re: Geofencing and privacy

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:48:01 +0200

> On Jun 24, 2015, at 7:35 , Christine Runnegar <runnegar@isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> The First Public Working Draft of Geofencing API has been published by the Geolocation WG:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-geofencing-20150604/
>
> You will see that there is still work to be done on the privacy and security considerations section.
>
> So, here is an opportunity to provide some early guidance.

I don’t want to sound excessively negative, but I have a hard time believing you can design any aspect of this without solving how you are going to handle the very hard privacy considerations.  The mechanics of the design seem a lot simpler, and are likely to be heavily affected.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.