Privacy changes in DAP Last Call of HTML Media Capture

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:06:04 -0400
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>, W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Christine Runnegar <runnegar@isoc.org>
To: "public-privacy@w3.org" <public-privacy@w3.org>
Dear PING members: [ccíd DAP]

Thank you for offering to take a look at the recently published Device APIs (DAP) Last Call documents [1].

You are correct, DAP did change the privacy and security considerations section in HTML Media Capture to be non-normative, in fact I drafted the revision. This was a deliberate decision since we had implementer feedback on testability - creating a consistent test across user agents that may take a different approach to user interaction was problematical (to give one example).

As Iíve mentioned previously, I believe privacy requires an end-end system view and that view is that of the consumer of our component specifications, such as the browser vendors. Thus I would expect them to perform a privacy analysis and consider a consistent and uniform approach toward user interaction.

We havenít removed the material, it is simply worded using English to say what should be done in broad strokes. I expect that privacy will become (and believe it already is) a competitive differentiator for browser vendors; we have shared the information that can inform the implementations and adopters of the technology.

I hope this helps.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP
@fjhirsch

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jun/0078.html

For reference the documents that went to last call were the following (please note that this is a return from CR to address very specific implementation issues):

[[

(1) HTML Media Capture  - http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-html-media-capture-20140619/

Made security and privacy considerations section non-normative to address testability and implementation concerns.

(2) Ambient Light Events -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-ambient-light-20140619/

Removed the LightLevelEvent and updated the document correspondingly, in response to implementer feedback.

(3) Vibration API -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-vibration-20140619/

]]