Re: simple, standardized privacy policy discovery

This  is a great update on Notice discovery.

I noticed in option 3 RFC - there is a note.

Note that in the absence of clear legal obligations placed on an
   entity, either through contract or law, the presence of a "privacy-
   policy" link does not constitute a legally binding obligation on the
   part of the service.  The linked resource can only be interpreted as
   a description of the expected practice.

I would disagree that there is an absence of clear legal obligation.

I have previously looked and produced a summary on openness and notice in regards to a privacy framework at Kantara both are required in principle  and law.   Yet there is no standard way to discover, parse, and structure notice links, (and therefore notices).  The result is that these policies are closed and the laws have not  previously been enacted or  enforced in a way that reflect the principles they are based on.   This expected to change with new laws currently under way around the world.

For our purposes we are working on a Consent Tag specification to Open Notice and make them much more usable for contextual aware applications.  Our aim is to spec out a consent transaction receipt which, amongst other things, takes the links to policies and provides them as a links in a standard tag to the person provisioning consent.

What is most desired is a standard. Is there a reason why the RFC 6903 was not on a standards track or taken further?

It seems clear that standard and automatic discovery of policy is very important as a s systematic way to find, reference, and innovate policy expression  for context and I would argue is legally required for notices to be open.

 Does anyone know of any additional policy discovery mechanisms than those listed by nick below?  Does anyone know of any policy discovery efforts for IOT? (or any other physical contexts)

 Thanks for this post Nick!!

Kind Regards,

Mark  Lizar