RE: When should PING start reviewing specs? [Was: Re: Privacy and fingerprintability]

Hello all.

I have been following the PING email discussions for some time but have had schedule conflicts for the period calls. In any case, I suppose this topic makes for a good time for me to contribute.

Specification Privacy Assessment (or SPA) is an important activity for all industry standards efforts that have some information privacy impact on the technologies we need for creating the information society and digital marketplace.

But before that discussion on methodology and proper roadmap points for such assessments, it would be good to go back and get some clarity form the W3C on what the chartered purpose and scope is for the PING. The above discussion about providing resources for conducting SPA reviews is incumbent on having a mandate. Of course, as has been recently seen in the IETF Privacy Directorate, it also will have a success factor on sufficiently skilled resources that have an understanding of W3C working group way-of-working.

Assuming the above is confirmed, then we should discuss a SPA review methodology that is appropriate for the W3C specification way-of-working.

Privacy by Design principles would advise that some form of assessment is done evening at the concepting stage and at ongoing milestones as more of the specification design progresses. It _should_ be done as a condition of the go-final milestone, along with security considerations.

-- Frank Dawson