Re: tracking is overrated, share your phone numbers

On Thursday, 26 January 2012 at 18:36, Karl Dubost wrote:

> If you have been living under a rock for the last 24h (like me at Tracking Protection WG F2F ;) ), this news [1] is quite impressive.
>

> If you reside in the UK and you are one of the millions
> of subscribers to mobile operator O2, you may be alarmed
> to learn that the carrier is sending your mobile number
> to every website you visit on your mobile phone.
> — [1]
>

> In your HTTP headers, there is a "x-up-calling-line-id" header with the phone number. :)
>

> [1]: http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2012/01/25/uk-mobile-operator-o2-sends-your-phone-number-to-every-website-you-visit/

My favourite bit:

"The mobile number in the HTML is linked to how the site determines that your browsing from a mobile device #O2Guru"

Obviously very competent and knowledgeable people work there and/or they just think their customers are idiots :)

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au