Re: Evolving Notice and Consensus for W3 to consider OECD Input

David,

trouble is: If we keep out, we have to swallow whatever people bake out that
are considerably less technically savvy than people I've seen so far
discussing here. Hands off will just bring you unrealistic expectations from
the regulators transformed into unusable laws. The OECD Guidelines are a
beacon in the privacy sphere. All the principle that you're regularly smacked
with come from there: data minimization, finality etc. The EU Directive is an
implementation of the OECD Guidelines. But in 1980, they weren't not really
able to predict the development of the Internet. So there needs to be some
renovation.

So it might be nice to engage in the rather high level discussions and figure
out, which of the high level requirements causes the most pain for
implementations of web apps, device apis and the like... This will allow us to
set expectations of what is achievable and not end up with a set of rules that
is unrealistic, tortures technologists and doesn't really help consumers.

Maybe think about it again. But I can understand your reluctance...

Best,

Rigo