Re: Evolving Notice and Consensus for W3 to consider OECD Input

I think your thoughts are good, but I also think that the W3C's mind is a long way from being clear enough to make recommendations to governmental or other powerful bodies.  And I think 'advocating regulation' to these is dangerous.  One never knows what will, in fact, emerge from a political process.

On Oct 19, 2010, at 14:19 , Mark Lizar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Re-reading my last email to the list I see that I left the email hanging a bit. It was an email that I thought important to send but became more difficult to write as I drafted it.   My intention was to bring up  the lack of consistent online notices technically, and legally.  Raise the issue that notice is a fundamental component of service delivery and ask for thoughts on how to develop notice in a way that makes an online notice a tool of access, control for the individual to manage information.
>
> The strategy with the last email was to raise this issue to this WG in light of data protection and regulation.  As notice in society is consistently still that of the industrial age, the need or utility of evolving notice can be compared to almost any interoperability issue. Like consent legally, recall of faulty goods socially, or the transfer of metatags from flicker to facebook technically.   I understand that notice alone is not enough, although I believe that Notice represents common legal and technical ground that addressees both legal and technical gaps in information sharing online.   With this in mind, I wonder if this WG would support a recommendation that digital notice (as oppose to written notice) should be legally regulated by the OECD?
>
> Regardless of support I hope to inspire some discussion around evolving the quality of notice and its application technically to create public privacy.   I noticed (pun intended) that my last email was difficult to respond too, something I hope to counter that with this email.  This is important because I clearly see that all of the discussions on this list are extremely valuable and I hope to add to this group, not subtract from it.
>
> That being said, is there any one who disagree's that  notice is a fundamental issue in public privacy?
>
> Is there anyone on this list that would oppose a recommendation to the OECD next week advocating regulators upgrading data protection law to include online notice?
>
> Is there anyone in favour of making this recommendation?
>
> Please respond to the list and I will forward (or ask Thomas to forward) this to ITAC.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Mark

David Singer