Updates to Privacy Workshop Report

Thomas,

I've made some edits, including a number of editorial nits that I won't elaborate (minor spelling, wording etc)

Question, is the following correct: "Further, in the current market environment, trust seals are often shown by the sites least likely to respect users’ privacy."?
I left it in but it seems to be a fairly strong statement.

It also seems there wasn't clear consensus on the outcome of the workshop. I added to the end based on my notes, see below.

My (non-editorial) changes:

Intro, para 1 - revised text:

"The W3C Workshop on Privacy for Advanced Web APIs brought together about 45 participants from industry (including browser vendors, mobile operators, device manufacturers and service providers),  academia, and standardization. Unfortunately major web site operators were absent."

added at end of intro:

"A number of members of the W3C Device APIs and Policy WG (DAP) attended this workshop and discussed privacy implications from the workshop during the subsequent DAP F2F meeting."

Added link to mail archive at end of summary

scene setting, para 2: Added to summary of David Singer's presentation:

"He also noted that privacy is difficult due to accumulation, distribution, and correlation. As an example, sharing a few photographs might be acceptable, but if many are shared then relationships and other information can be mined."

scene setting, para 2: Revised summary of Hannes presentation:

"He noted that different approaches relate to different communities, with the first for engineers, the second for policy makers."

added new para end of scene setting:

"During a subsequent discussion it was noted that by raising privacy to the user, especially with too many dialogs, it is possible to “spook the users” and reduce the benefit of new services and technologies, yet there are risks (such as combining “my location” with known aspects of various locations)."

Added at end of User behavior and privacy economics, para 1

"Lalana Kagal (MIT) noted that users in general cannot understand how to create policy. He suggested “nudging the user” by giving feedback to various actions."

added to Geolocation: Implementation experience, para 3, Ioannis Krontiris, at end

"He noted that location privacy is not only about current location but also past location, increasing the privacy concerns related to location."

Privacy approaches, para 1, revised 2nd sentence:

"Thomas Dübendorfer (Google) emphasized the need for both transparency and user control and presented a proposal for social network based access control mechanisms in OpenSocial 1.1."

Privacy Approaches, para 3 - added "There was general agreement that current privacy policies are neither read nor understood by most users and a new simpler approach is needed."

Privacy Approaches, para 5, Revised John Morris second sentence to read

"He gave the analogy of binding a copyright notice to copyright law, relying on non-technical enforcement mechanisms. The key is to express privacy needs, to legally establish a "reasonable expectation of privacy".

Added to last paragraph

"Workshop participants pointed out, however, that details of how data is used is not needed in rulesets so this is somewhat different. Members of the workshop agreed however that it makes sense for the Device APIs and Policy WG to consider the ruleset approach further."

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia