Re: Location services and age limit Re: Location in the news

Hi Folks,

I’ll put in my two cents on this topic. First, I have children and grandchildren and I do not want anything bad to happen to them so I am sympathetic to John’s concerns. But I am a engineer and I believe I understand the some of the limitations of technology.

Preventing the selling glue, alcohol, tobacco, gambling and other products/services to people under 18 is much easier in the physical world than it is in the electronic/virtual world because the seller/provider of the service can physically see the person wanting that product/service. As Peter Steiner correctly pointed out in 1993, “On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.” (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog>). Things have not changed in the intervening 17 years.

Of course there are exemptions in the physical world: some persons look younger/older than they physically appear. So most sellers/providers of products/services in the physical world have to depend on some sort of identity card issued by some form of government. In the United States, this identity card is usually a driver’s license. The trouble is that a driver’s license is just that, a license to drive a motor vehicle as stated on the back of my driver’s license: “This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle; it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits.” The license should also state “nor establish eligibility to buy alcohol, tobacco, glue, etc.” but that will never happen in my lifetime. And I won’t get into the business of selling false identities because enough persons want to buy products/services they are prohibited from buying because of their age that they are enough (bad) people who will sell them false identities.

So even if there was some magic technology that could correctly tell the “age of majority” [1] of a person, I’m sure that that technology would be used in some unforeseen way to cause harm to other persons, including the ones we are trying to protect.

Respectfully,
Aram Perez

[1] As Karl Dubost recently posted.