RE: Cookies - Raising Awareness

Part of the problem here is that we're asking a question about the
technology (which generally doesn't mean anything to the end user) and
not about the data that it collects (which might resonate a little
more). Here's the actual legal requirement:

Member States shall ensure that the storing of information, or the
gaining of access to information already stored, in the terminal
equipment of a subscriber or user is only allowed on condition that the
subscriber or user concerned has given his or her consent, having been
provided with clear and comprehensive information, in accordance with
Directive 95/46/EC, inter alia, about the purposes of the processing.
[emphasis mine]
(http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:337:001
1:0036:En:PDF)

This isn't about the placement of a cookie, it's about the creation of a
data trail, connected to a unique identifier, that allows a service
provider to remember certain qualities about a user. If you're using
Flash cookies, local storage or fingerprinting to accomplish the same
goals, then arguably the same requirement applies.

But here's the exception:

This shall not prevent any technical storage or access for the sole
purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an
electronic communications network, or as strictly necessary in order for
the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by
the subscriber or user to provide the service.'

Which means that logins, state management etc. wouldn't be covered.

Perhaps it's time to go back to basics, stop focusing on the technology,
and find a way to talk about the data and its purpose?

Best,