RE: PDF annotations

On 2014-03-06 Tony Graham wrote:
> On Wed, March 5, 2014 7:59 pm, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I've made a brief proposal here:
> > https://www.w3.org/community/ppl/wiki/PDF_Annotations
> >

> 2. getX() and getY() are built-in in what?
>
> 3. What about block-width() and block-height()?
>    Are they also built-in?

They were meant as an addition to label-end() or body-start() functions.

> 4. Most of the compound-word attribute names contain '-', but you also
> have 'namedDestination'.

Please take this proposal rather as pseudo code. Naming conventions can be
polished later. I prefer unified syntax, of course.

> 5. Is it too late in the processing to be able to do things based
> on the writing mode or text direction of the FOs?  What would change
> if the document was in a right-to-left script?  Does the X-direction
> flip on right-to-left pages?

Good point!

In RTL direction the X-coord could be flipped. But there are problematic
cases when placing annotations into margins when double sided documents have
different margin widths...

My naive approach is to simplify it as much as possible. Just define
position on 'recto' page as it was in LTR mode and it will be recalculated
automatically to the proper position/margin.

Examples:
LTR Double Sided (even for LTR we need to transform the recto page position
to the verso page one)
recto [outer-edge() + 5mm] => verso [outer-edge() - 5mm - annotation width]

RTL Double Sided:
recto [outer-edge() + 5mm] => recto [inner-edge() - 5mm - annotation width]
recto [outer-edge() + 5mm] => verso [outer-edge() - 5mm - annotation width]

But it is neither elegant nor clear :-\

Here any comments from implementations are appreciated. Is this flipping
doable? Are there more efficient ways?

> 6. What happens if the reference orientation changes on individual FOs?

Another tough question :-)

I tend to take into account just coordinating system of the physical page.
No transformations, rotations etc. The majority of use cases are comments on
typical documents. Is the rest signifficant enough to be ready for it?

Any other ideas? Any comments? Every opinion counts.

Thanks, Jan