Re: PDF annotations

Jan,

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Jan Tosovsky <jan.tosovsky.cz@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> in my use case I need to place PDF annotations (stored in the source XML)
> on
> specific places (IDs) within the final PDF files. It can be done, but it
> requires some pre- and post-processing steps utilizing non-XML tools.
>
> While annotations are supported directly in some XSL-FO processors [1], the
> syntax is not standardized. Moreover, the available feature set is rather
> incomplete.
>
> There are several annotation types (icons) with different options, which
> means it would be a quite complex task to cover everything in the new
> syntax:
>
> http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdf
> s/PDF32000_2008.pdf (Page 390)

Direct link :
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf#page=390

> I've personally never used anything else than simple Text annotation, but
> when Adobe found others worth to implement, there was most likely some
> demand for this.
>
> Is something like this worth to elaborate by this PPL group?

What we could clearly do is gather all those requirements somewhere in the
wiki
http://www.w3.org/community/ppl/wiki/Main_Page

Then it would be interesting to propose a standard specification à la EXPath
[[
EXPath is a way to extends XPath standards without the need to go through
all the W3C Process
http://www.w3.org/community/expath/
]]

Mohamed