Re: Meetup at XML Prague 2014?

On Fri, December 27, 2013 8:24 pm, Tony Graham wrote:
> The only time that I recall seeing multiple vendors in the same room
> showing their stuff was the "XSL-FO Chefs’ Tools Exhibition" at XML 2003
> [1][2][3].
>
> If we could put together something like that but bring together
> "implementers of XSL-FO, CSS, and non-standard formatter solutions" (as I
> proposed for a panel last year), I think that would be a significant
> event.  But if we can't get a good, representative sample, then it would
> just look half-baked.  That would be the challenge!
>
> A key aspect would be getting samples that aren't all one-sided in favour
> of one technology: e.g., complex headers and footers wouldn't play well on
> CSS formatters (without vendor extensions), whereas floats spanning a
> subset of columns wouldn't play well on XSL-FO formatters (without vendor
> extensions), and there are no doubt other things that are a stretch for
> one but easy for another.

If we proposed this and it was accepted, given the short time between any
acceptance and XML Prague itself, I don't see us being able to induce
multiple vendors to run up provided sample documents and come to XML
Prague at such short notice.

Do people agree or disagree?

One alternative might be for people here to do the samples with whatever
implementations we have at hand, but then the cook-off might look
half-baked.

Regards,

Tony.