Re: Where we headed?

On Tue, June 4, 2013 2:01 pm, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 4.6.2013 2:40, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>
>> 1. Truth be told, since XSLT is declarative and works well in this
>> space, I am convinced that an bettter FO formatter would actually be
>> written in something like F# or Scheme or Haskell.

Back in the early 1990s, Uniscope had a transformation language for SGML
written in Scheme and a Scheme preprocessor and TeX macros for formatting.

Some days I think of implementing a formatter in Erlang.  It's appealing
to think that you could just fire off each page sequence and they could
fire off their blocks and they could all just sort themselves out, but the
reality might not be so appealing.

> RenderX in past tried to develop FO engine in Common Lisp:

Uniscope for a while also had a SGML parser written (before my time) in Lisp.

Regards,

Tony.