Re: New Year. Renewed activity? New Chair?

Speaking as a hardcore software developer (I do have usage interests in
FO, primarily in the ECM publishing/rendition space, say ECM + DITA XML
+ FO engine) this would be interesting to spec out, and a fun challenge
to work on.

Fact is, with a spec to drive appropriate XSL-FO APIs for
notifications/events from rendering/layout, and also for R/T
programmatic access to fixed & optional statistics for the object trees,
you could then contemplate a feasible and practical set of layout engine
runtime instructions, including things like Patrick mentioned or alluded
to...like "give me a complete dump of the layout for page 133 and why
you the engine did that". Or "let's keep an eye on this condition loaded
up by this rules file", which is a scenario inspired by what several
people said.

My gut feeling is that more of the work associated with this is
specification and API design - fact is, if an FO engine has been
well-designed and implemented then much of this is reporting what
already exists.

Arved