Re: Revise group description?

Sort of my point previously: what a programmer might use for a
publishing solution is probably considerably different than what
publishing pros come up with. And there are probably more non-publishing
professional programmers asked to do publishing than publishing
professionals. IMO.

Programmatic approaches to creating PDF and Postscript are nothing new
to me, nor to many programmers tasked with publishing. I may be naive,
but both formats appear to work well, and if you read and understand the
specs, and write good programs, that often beats other stuff. Over a
decade ago I was writing scripts to create PDF, which is relatively
simple: it's not a very complex format.

Arved

On 12/29/2013 07:11 PM, Jean Kaplansky wrote:
> It occurred to me that I’ve heard about more and more Java-based PDF
> libraries in the last year. These guys:
> http://www.idrsolutions.com/java-pdf-library/ had a booth right next
> to Aptara’s booth at the last O’Reilly TOC conference.
>
> It strikes me that there may be other Java PDF libraries out there,
> both open source and commercial that this group may be interested in
> if members are interested in learning about additional tools for
> creating PDF files (because I certainly don’t see PDF files going away
> anytime soon. For all my Digital Publishing talk, I’m as big a PDF
> junky as anyone else out there when it comes to my own collection of
> reference information).
>
> Should we start a separate list for the various PDF producing Java
> libraries?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> -Jean (who really must return her attention to EPUBs now, or find
> herself in hot water with at least one future co-presenter…)

[ SNIP ]