Re: Meetup at XML Prague 2014?

So XML Prague and the next EDUPUB workshop are scheduled for overlapping dates… Which means people involved in the Digital Publishing Interest Group AND the IDPF and who want to go to XML Prague are going to have to do some prioritizing.

I’m already very committed to attending the EDUPUB2 workshop in SLC (I’m presenting, Aptara is sponsoring), so I definitely won’t be in Prague in 2014. I can start planting hints about 2015 as soon as I can identify a project that is beyond the pale of normal business.

Or I’ll just have to live vicariously through you tube.

FWIW – I think someone should do an update at XML Prague on the W3C activities happening with the start up of the Digital Publishing Interest Group and the partnership going on with the IDPF regarding making the open web platform a place for everyone to publish.

I’d be very interested to sit in on a state of XML formatting/formatters session, too. I’m hearing so much about Indesign Server these days, and so little about other engines like Arbortext AAP, Antenna House, and RenderX. I know that PTC has really pushed AAP into the Service Information space, but that engine is capable of so much more… (and I don’t think that’s nostalgia speaking because I left Arbortext before they bought 3B2. Remember… I’m a ye olde and former FOSI expert…)

Speaking of formatting engines… What if there was a formatting engine that could actually do really good page layout for eBooks that didn’t have to be tweaked after the fact? I’d be really interested to hear if anyone is working on such a beast. I would think XML Prague would be a good venue for such an introduction.

Huh. Couldn’t think of a wish list before Xmas except for “husband’s home made pizza.” Guess I’m over that bit of writer’s block. :)

Happy impending New Year, everyone!

Jean Kaplansky
Digital Content Solutions Architect, Aptara

Invited Expert Member  l  W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group
Task Force Lead  l  W3C Digital Publishing MathML/STM Interest Group
Member  l  IDPF Indexing and Open Annotations EDUPUB Working Groups,
BISG Content Structure Committee, STC, and SSP

jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com<mailto:jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com>
+1.518.487.9670
Skype: JeanKaplansky
Twitter: @JeanKaplansky

[cid:0D4A1ECA-4EE9-4635-A643-BCB6D2CDFA7F]