Re: PROPOSED RESOLUTION (WAS Re: [Fwd: About include/excludeiripattern])

I agree with you, Phil. Probably my comment was not clear. I summarise
here the issue for those who are not aware of it.

The constraints include/excludeiripattern have been included in the
POWDER specs [1] since there existed a W3C WD proposing a pattern
syntax for URLs, namely the "access item" syntax defined by WAF [2].
So, the idea was to provide support to a possible alternative to the
IRI constraints defined in the POWDER specs. As such, this was also
meant to be a sort of built-in extension to the genuine POWDER IRI
constraints.

Since in the current WAF specs [3] the definition of the access item
syntax has been dropped, include/excludeiripattern cannot any longer
be considered  as an implementation of an existing pattern syntax, but
as constraints adopting a specific IRI pattern syntax defined in the
POWDER specs.

In conclusion, I'm not against keeping include/excludeiripattern, but
we need to rephrase the corresponding section in order to explain
which is their purpose. In other words,  the paragraph:

[[
Enabling Read Access for Web Resources [WAF] defines a method for
encoding the domains and sub-domains from which access to resources on
a given Web site should be granted or denied. The includeiripattern
and  excludeiripattern properties support this syntax directly.
]]

needs to be rewritten by saying that include/excludeiripattern are an
alternative way of denoting IRIs, specifically designed for URLs, and
to denote the domains and sub-domains to which the description
applies.

Andrea

----
[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-grouping/#wild
[2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-access-control-20080214/#access
[3]http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-access-control-20080912/

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org> wrote:
> Sorry Andrea I'm a tad confused by your comment.
>
> If we were to keep this feature then we'd just re-word it a little so as to
> remove reference to WAF - but everything else would stay the same. In other
> words, it's no more work to keep it than to drop it (except that it's not in
> the P to P-BASE XSLT, but I'm sure that can be sorted easily enough once
> Kevin has debugged the query contains bit).

> Andrea Perego wrote:
>>
>> This might be an option, but I see it more as a way of defining an IRI
>> pattern syntax simpler than regular expressions. I'm not sure we can
>> still propose include/excludeiripatterns as an example of POWDER
>> extension, at least not referring to Unix glob patterns, which are
>> meant for relative / absolute paths, not for IRIs.
>>
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Stasinos Konstantopoulos
>> <konstant@iit.demokritos.gr> wrote:
>>>
>>> why undo work that we have already done? we can simply remove the
>>> reference and call them Unix glob patterns or s'thing like that.

> --
> Phil Archer
> w. http://philarcher.org/

Andrea Perego
Dipartimento di Informatica e Comunicazione
Universita` degli Studi dell'Insubria
Via Mazzini, 5 - 21100 Varese, Italy
WWW:  http://www.dicom.uninsubria.it/~andrea.perego/
FOAF: http://www.dicom.uninsubria.it/~andrea.perego/foaf/#me