Re: PROPOSED RESOLUTION of attribution (again!) (Was Re: wdrs:issuedby fc. foaf:maker and dcterms:creator)

Phil Archer wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> In such a case, you cannot use dcterms:creator or foaf:maker alone in
>> a POWDER-S doc.
>
> That's OK, we don't necessarily want to be able to do that.

But what we want is to say: "wdrs:issuedby is the "correct" property to
be used to denote a DR author; however, if you're writing your POWDER-S
doc you can use foaf:maker or dcterms:creator instead of it."

Is this correct?

> [snip]
>
> Did you mean to change the Agent classes to wdrs:Agent? Surely we're not
> preventing the use of FOAF and DC as they are both intended? A POWDER-S
> doc is just a bit of RDF/OWL. If making wdrs:issuedby a sub property of
> the other somehow disables them then we certainly mustn't do it!!

No, I don't, and we're not disabling this. Sorry if I was unclear.

What I was saying is that, by writing

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
   <foaf:maker>
     <foaf:Agent>
     </foaf:Agent>
   </foaf:maker>
</owl:Ontology>

or

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
   <dcterms:creator>
     <dcterms:Agent>
     </dcterms:Agent>
   </dcterms:creator>
</owl:Ontology>

an RDF/OWL reasoner won't infer

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
   <wdrs:issuedby>
     <foaf:Agent>
     </foaf:Agent>
   </wdrs:issuedby>
</owl:Ontology>

or, respectively,

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
   <wdrs:issuedby>
     <dcterms:Agent>
     </dcterms:Agent>
   </wdrs:issuedby>
</owl:Ontology>

This means that, if a DR author uses just dcterms:creator or foaf:maker,
or even both, wdrs:issuedby is not implied. In other words, defining
wdrs:issuedby as a subproperty of foaf:maker and dcterms:creator does
not allow us to state that they can use only one of them instead of
wdrs:issuedby.

> [snip]
>
> We don't need to do without it. What we must do is to allow people to
> use either FOAF or DC but not anything else.

What I meant is that you cannot replace wdrs:issuedby with foaf:maker or
dcterms:issued, as explained above.

> [snip]
>
> I take the points about option 2 but option 1 seems to have what we want
> and to have clear semantics that we can define (unless, as I say, we're
> disabling FOAF and DC by doing that). If we get a load of comments at LC
> saying that we've messed around with FOAF and DC too much, OK, we'll
> revisit this but I'm rather keen to put this to bed.

That's fine to me too, at least for the moment. This issue needs further
discussion and feedback.

Andrea