Re: DC Terms, FOAF etc

Thanks very much Dan,

A couple of comments below.

Dan Brickley wrote:
[..]

> Thanks for the nice note. In the interests of simplicity and POWDER
> users not needing to include loads of extra namespaces to express a
> basic label, I do suggest making use of the dcterms vocab instead. The
> new Dublin Core stuff is much closer to a FOAFish design and we'll
> probably have direct mapping/equivalence expressed in the schemas at
> some point (so long as that doesn't mess up our OWL 2 compatibility plans).
>
> I do think we have some stuff in FOAF that adds value to POWDER labels,
> and we'll be having more yet. For instance, isn't it rather nice to know
> the :opend and :homepage of a label creator? Or identify them indirectly
> via a hashed mailbox ID that can be fed to Google's SGAPI service,
> http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/docs/ ?

Yes - all those things are important when you're trying to press the
metaphorical 'Oh Yeah?' button when you come across a claim

> So my recommendation would be to make sure the basic creator/Agent thing
> is doable in plain DC terms, but allow FOAF for adding more optional
> detail.

OK, well, we've actually managed to hide away FOAF within POWDER in its
XML format by having an element in our own namespace (maker) that is
GRDDL'd in foaf:maker. Once you get past foaf:maker, you're out of
POWDER and into the wide world beyond so, yes, it is perhaps neater (and
process-safer) to do it all within the dcterms namespace - even though I
think is is a likely usage:

<dcterms:Agent>
   <foaf:name>foo</foaf:name>
   <foaf:homepage rdf:resource="..." />