Re: Review of POWDER draft

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:23:11 +0200, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
<dbooth@hp.com> wrote:

> Comments on
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-powder-dr-20070925/
>
> 1. This is an interesting spec.  It looks quite useful, and I'm glad
> it's using RDF and leveraging existing ontologies.
>
> 2. Thank you for including the images of the RDF graphs used in the
> examples!...  How about including N3 or Turtle?

I am one of those who prefers RDF/XML - plus you can feed it to more or
less any tool to visualise it the way that suits you. But keeping the
images is a good idea (and a plain text explanation as well...)

> 4. Sec 2 says: "This is a break from the RDF model and means that a
> generic RDF/OWL inference engine MUST NOT be used directly to make
> inferences based on DRs."  This is scary, and IMO requires major
> justification.  What exactly is the break from the RDF model and what is
> the rationale for it?  It would not seem to me to make sense to use
> RDF/OWL notation without their semantics.  Is that what you mean?
> Please explain.

This is an open issue (and I argue that the current draft does not
represent a good practise and we should instead do something that matches
normal RDF semantics). In a nutshell, there is a description that is
intended to be a property of the resurce set, but in RDF is written as a
property of the overall DR - and I agree that doing this is scary since it
relies on RDF processors knowing POWDER so they realise that they are not
authorisde to interpret the RDF as RDF - an assumption that I think is
untenable in the real world...

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals              Try the Kestrel - Opera 9.5 alpha