Re: Open Issues: DR scope

Comments inline,

Andrea Perego wrote:
> I would like again to ask for feedback about an issue which must be
> urgently solved, that is, how the scope of a DR is defined.
>
> The current solution is the following:
>
> 1  <owl:Class rdf:ID="ResourceOnExampleDotOrg">
> 2    <owl:equivalentClass>
> 3      <owl:Class>
> 4        <rdfs:subClassOf>
> 5          <owl:Restriction>
> 6            <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&wdr;includeHost" />
> 7            <owl:hasValue>example.org</owl:hasValue>
> 8          </owl:Restriction>
> 9        </rdfs:subClassOf>
> 10     </owl:Class>
> 11   </owl:equivalentClass>
> 12 </owl:Class>
>
> which literally means "all the resources having a URI host component
> ending with example.org" (i.e., "all the resources hosted by
> *.example.org").

Or example.org - the *. implies that the set is resources on subdomains
of example.org but not example.org itself (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-powder-grouping-20071031/#wild)

> So, the question is: does anybody agree that this the correct way to
> define a DR scope? If it isn't, which are the alternative solutions?

Broadly, I believe it is the correct way. The good news is that this
example is more complicated than we need. There was some surprise on the
SWCG call the other day that we were using an equivalent class and
subclass within this. It sounded to me as if we could do it as simply as:

1  <owl:Class rdf:ID="ResourceOnExampleDotOrg">
2    <rdfs:subClassOf>
3     <owl:Restriction>
4        <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&wdr;includeHost" />
5        <owl:hasValue>example.org</owl:hasValue>
6      </owl:Restriction>
7    </rdfs:subClassOf>
8  </owl:Class>

or in even fewer lines - something we need to experiment with. We need
to look at the necessary/necessary & sufficient definition and some
other stuff but personally I am in no doubt that this is pretty much 'it.'

Some experiments I've been planning to do:

1. If you have two restrictions, do you need a parseType Collection
construct?

2. Does using owl:complementOf mean we can get rid of our 'exclude...'
properties (I believe so).

I'm not able to spend much time on POWDER this week as I'm in Washington
for FOSI's big conference but if I were at home, I'd be playing with
protégé and running SPARQL queries against the data. As you know, I am
seeking outside help and one way or another we should have this sorted
within the next week or so. I don't think it's as unclear as you seem to
- which worries me :-) .

Phil.

--
Phil Archer
Chief Technical Officer,

Register now for the first, annual Family Online Safety Institute
Conference and Exhibition, December 6th, 2007, Washington, DC.

Go to: http://www.fosi.org/conference2007/ today!