Re: ISSUE-19 (point-encoding): How should we represent points? [Core FPWD]

From: Jens de Smit <jens@layar.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:03:06 +0200
To: public-poiwg@w3.org
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Raj Singh <rsingh@opengeospatial.org> wrote:
> Jens, I think you probably mean to support both point formats, and only use the GeoRSS GML format (more brevity) for lines and polygons? I can live with that.

I didn't mean that specifically. Schema-wise, I'd say a point could be
element, or a short form <point>1.0 2.0 3.0</point>. A line or polygon
could then consist of either a series of long form <point> elements or
short form points. It would make the spec more complete/consistent and
not make parsers that much more complex. In practice, I would suggest
anyone use the short form for anything bigger than a triangle, unless
they have a very specific case to use the long form (in which case it
is useful that the spec supports long form too).

Jens