Re: The Object Primitive

Hey,

Some feedback/thoughts/discussion points

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Christine Perey <cperey@perey.com> wrote:
> I took the locations primitive which Karl provided
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-poiwg/2011Jan/0017.html
>
> as well as the suggestions from Roy Davies
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-poiwg/2011Jan/0007.html
>
> and created, based on those, a laundry list of what could be included in the
> "objects primitive".
>
> As Roy suggests and we discussed on the call January 26, an Object has a
> location but it can change over time (in which case it is a NON-FIXED POI),
> or not moving (in which case it is a FIXED POI).
>
> I welcome feedback.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christine
>
> Object Primitive
>
> Goal:
> Provide a rich and flexible description of an object (aka a thing)
> De-couple or isolate the description of an object and from where it is (a
> Place of Interest) and other primitives.
> An object has one location at a (temporary-duration undefined) specific
> point in TIME but does not have one fixed point over time.
>
> An Object of Interest can be a parent to other Objects each with its own
> description to allow for the representation of complex objects that are the
> aggregate of a collection of Objects (a car, boat, or airplane).
> It should not be inferred that each of the elements within the object
> primitive are not spatially synonymous, but do refer to the same object.
>
> High Level Attribution:
>
> Object Name
> Object's Absolute Location at last known time

Why absolute? Could it not be relative to another location?

> Identification
>
> Object's category [living, non-living]

What is the (use) case for distinguishing living and non-living objects?

> Object's Attribution Details
>
> Identification
>                ID (optional)
> Identification System or Service
> ID
> Associated IDs

What is exactly the meaning of an "ID", a "System or service ID" and
an "Assoicated ID".

> Name
> Last Updated On : Date/Time  (optional)
> Updated By : owner / author (optional)
> Use : public, private, restrictions (optional)
> Ownership info : owner of all or part of a POI
> Cost - each point can cost more for the people who lease it from the layer
> owner.

This seems to come directly from look-here.biz. What's the use case for that?

This is usually (if not always) in relation in a certain context. I do
not see how an object of itself can be "active" or "blocked". If it's
deleted, doesn't it just disappear?

> Trustworthiness : degree of certainty the author has in the accuracy of the
> object

What makes an object more or less accurate?

> Category
>
> Object (optional)
>                                Type
> Living - composed of one or more cells
> Non-living - inanimate, not composed of cells
>
> [Then we can classify according to animal or plants, mammal, etc!]

Again, what is the use case for this classification system?

> MORE OPTIONAL INFO ABOUT OBJECTS:
> Circumference/radius (the description applies to this Object plus the space
> around it?)

Isn't this covered in Location? An object is linked to a Location,
which defines its spatial boundaries...