Re: Categorization + Whether a POI must have location

"So, do we think
 and agree that such 'virtual entities' representing groups of POIs are
 not POIs?"

Agreed, its not a POI. - There could be many methods to deliver POIs
to a user. You could have a collection of POIs hosted by calling a
fixed url at a server, but it might also be delivered in subscription
form, as a type of rss feed, on request to a server, or over a xmpp
feed.

There will certainly be various methods of grouping and categorising
POIs, as well as various methods and services to bundle them up and
deliver them to the user. Its these services/methods that would make
or deliver collections of, say, adverts to the user.

In your example of the advert, the user might click the advert, and
then some script runs server side to dynamic generate a list of nearby
POIs. The advert in this case wouldn't be the POI - its just a
webpage. But it could link to them.
Remember also lots of POIs can point to the same content too, so
theres no need for much, if any redundancy.

I think at the end of the  day you should just be thinking "what could
cause this data to appear for the user?" and if that answer is some
form of location, its a POI.
If the answer is "just going to this webpage" (or "an agent does a
semantic search that doesnt involve a location") then it isn't, even
if the data itself can then link to POIs.

~~~~~~
Reviews of anything, by anyone;
www.rateoholic.co.uk
Please try out my new site and give feedback :)