From: public-poiwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-poiwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Andy Braun
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:30 AM
To: Public POI @ W3C
Subject: Are POIs always tangible?

We started a discussion on the call this week[1] that has been floating around for some time.

Should the POI spec account for items that are not physical in nature and therefore are not specifically tied to some geospatial context. Examples would be things like Starbucks (the corporation) or a government body.

For me the question comes down to one of linking. Does tying individual Starbucks together have value? (and as Alex pointed out is a conceptual POI even necessary for that).  The immediate concern is that we end up trying to write a spec that covers everything. This could lead us down a slippery slope.

It would great to seem some other thoughts in this area

Andy

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/04/13-poiwg-minutes.html#item05

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.