Re: WG Objectives - A Personal Take

Hi,

[For a short introduction of myself please see
	http://graphics.cs.uni-saarland.de/slusallek/]

Let me comment a bit on the definition of POIs.

I see two levels of specification here: One defines a point or a region
in space and/or time directly, while the other defines some data that
can be converted by some internal/external "service" into the former.
We could call these "direct" and "indirect" POI specifications.

In the latter case, e.g. an address/term of a place ontology/etc can be
converted into a point on the street in front of the house (albeit
typically not yet into the extent covered by the house/ground referred
to by the address, see below) by Google Maps or such. I would call such
direct or indirect addresses "absolute" with respect to some fixed
coordinate system (such as WGS84).

Having the ability to nest several such POIs relative to each other
would certainly be very useful, in order to describe related POIs, e.g.
multiple entries to a building/site. Having the ability to link POIs to
each other via URLs and a href-like structure seems useful too as it
allows for expressing the relationship without having to change the
referred to POI.

There are also "relative" POI markers, relative to some observer: E.g.
given some optical features (e.g. SIFT or similar AR features), a
service (AR) can convert them to coordinates relative to the camera
("some direction X relative to the viewing direction of the camera and
about 150m away").

Such relative coordinates are often combined with at least rough
absolute coordinates such that you do not have to search the complete
data base of relative features to find the one that are likely to apply
(this is more of an optimization but can also be used as a refinement of
the absolute position).

If relative features have associated absolute coordinates, the relation
(transform) between the two is usually also given, such that an absolute
position can be derived from seeing the relative features (and vice
versa). But this is a separate and independent step.

Let me comment also on the absolute coordinates some more: While points
are simple, its often unclear how to interpret them -- they do not have
any scale. E.g. the notion of two points being "near" to each other does
not make any sense -- unless there is some sort of scale given as well.
However, that scale (e.g. distance) essentially defines a region around
one of the points and the "near" query really converts to a "point in
region" query (that query is symmetric, though). Often the scale is
implicitly defined by the query point ("being near" for a walking person
is different to "being near" for a fast driving car) but this might not
apply or make much sense in some applications.

As a consequence, I believe it is useful to at least conceptually always
consider POIs to be a region of some sort -- just to be able to have a
notion of this "scale" independently from the query. A "point" would
then simply be a region with a really small/zero extent/radius. This
also generalizes nicely to cases where the POI really is defined by a
region (polygon, 3D space enclosed by polygons, whatever).

Finally, the definition should be extended to also include the time
dimension, where similar concepts do apply almost equally.

Things get quite a bit more involved though, when the space and time
dimensions are no longer independent. In graphics we would talk of an
"animated POI". And that might really be what we need to describe them
and where to borrow the ideas for representations from. However,
animations are often evaluated in a forward direction ("given some
time, tell me what the object looks like at that point in time"). For
many queries this is perfectly fine, as we know the current time and can
thus find the query region to work with.

Sometimes, however, we are facing a different issue that we want
to answer a query in space-time ("what are the points/intervalls in time
where this space-time point is inside the animated region"). They are a
bit more difficult to answer and process.

Finally, on a related note, let me point you to some new activities we
have started recently to take a fresh look at interactive 3D for the
Web: XML3D. "Not again a new format for 3D on the Web" is the usual
reaction at this point, which we understand and actually share :-).

However, as we argue in our recent paper
(https://graphics.cs.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=534) existing 3D
approaches are severely lacking in respect to the Web. So XML3D starts
exactly where the Web/HTML5 is today adding 3D as a minimal but
orthogonal extension to HTML. Essentially our approach is to make 3D
programming as similar to 2D Web design, such that all Web designers
could immediately start applying their 2D Web experience also to 3D,
expanding the pool of 3D application developers by several orders of
magnitude.

Instead of seeing 3D as an add on, our approach sees 3D as an integral
part of HTML, even going to the point where 3D concepts (e.g. like
procedural shaders) could apply as well to 2D content as they do for 2D
content (note that not all of this described is in the above paper yet,
but will be in a follow up).

Initial alpha versions of our implementations in Firefox and
Webkit/Chromium as well via WebGL are available on xml3d.org, of course
also including the current spec for XML3D.

We are organizing a "3D on the Web" session for the TPAC W3C conference
next week (Monday afternoon), where we will discuss where we are with
respect to 3D on the Web and suggest/discuss next steps to be taken.
Note: that in addition to our XML3D approach, X3DOM will also be
presented as we have joined forces with the Fraunhofer group now to
define a common approach for 3D embedded directly into HTML. I believe
this could be very interesting also for the POI working group.

Thanks for listening,

	Philipp Slusallek