Re: POI WG Terminology Wiki - updates

I have been slowly updating the terminology wiki.
http://www.w3.org/2010/POI/wiki/Terminology

You will notice that a number of the additional terms I added have to do
with coordinates, coordinate reference systems, and so forth. These are
derived from an ISO standard (19111) which is based on numerous agreements
between and among national mapping agencies, defense agencies, and the oil
and gas exploration community (and others).

As AR will require the fusion of location enabled resources from many
sources in various formats and in various coordinate reference systems, the
ability to at a minimum state metadata regarding the CRS is key. Otherwise,
when visualized (as an example) POIs may not be at their proper location!
Unfortunately just stating something like WGS 84 is not sufficient,
especially on a global basis. For example, in China there is a law that
states what the national CRS is and it is not WGS 84. Same in Taiwan, India
and so forth. Of course we can state that the default is always WGS 84, 2d
or 3d as defined EPSG 4326. But to be truly extensible, any POI model will
need to be able to provide at a minimum optional CRS metadata.

Tuesday night missive.

Regards

Carl Reed
OGC