Re: Facebook's definition of a Place

I think the only developers needing to convert would be ones taking
data from one protocol into another.
Most would just be putting the data in the format suitable for their
protocol/media.

ie. Everyone is using the same "Lat/Lon/Alt" definition, to the same
spec - but sometimes it makes more sense to express the data in the
form of, say, xml. And other times it might make more sense in the
form of JSON, or over XMPP, or dozens of other possibility's based on
usage.

Ensuring everyone is at least talking about the same values makes
conversion a (relatively) trivial process when it is needed. But if we
restrict it to one notation, that rules out a lot of use's and people
developing for those use's would end up using a completely separate
set of values altogether.

Imho, we could almost just look at key/value pairs needed to express
the data, as that seems the most generic form of expressing stuff
which could later be adapted for specific notations where needed.