Re: Next steps

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:07:07 -0400
Cc: Jens de Smit <jens.desmit@surfnet.nl>, Thomas Wrobel <darkflame@gmail.com>, 전종홍 <hollobit@etri.re.kr>, Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>, "public-poiwg@w3.org" <public-poiwg@w3.org>
To: "Hermodsson, Klas" <Klas.Hermodsson@sonyericsson.com>
We seem to be talking about several different use cases, and there's a danger of commingling them. I suspect this is because each of us has a particular application in mind, but we're (presumably) trying to cover a somewhat broader area.

If I'm parsing this correctly, there are at least two broad scenarios:

(1) "AR": device detects a nearby POI (building, sign, ...) and performs some related action, visualization or other media rendering;

(2) "GIS" POI: An application wants to search for suitable POIs in a defined area, and then render them in some way. Active behavior or 3D wizardry is not necessary or called for, searchability, simplicity and uniform structure are.

I think there's a common intersection, but probably easiest by having pointers to properties and behavior that can then be ignored by other applications. For example, a POI "object" can easily include a set of URIs that contain related media, with appropriate tagging.

Henning