Pointer Events 2 results

Folks, Philippe has kindly helped with trying to run the tests/compile
results. However, there seem to be some gaps here with browser support.
It would be REALLY good if you could check/clarify what the current
state of these things is, if possible?

Currently, our progression with the spec along the W3C track is likely
stalled and we may have to see if we can get a further extension of the
charter, but only if there's still activity/interest in carrying on.

On 09/07/2018 18:44, Philippe Le Hégaret wrote:
 > (feel free to forward this message to a public place if needed)
 >
 > I ran all of the tests the best I was able to:
 > http://w3c.github.io/test-results/pointerevents/all.html
 >
 > I ended up with a 4.42% failure level:
 > http://w3c.github.io/test-results/pointerevents/less-than-2.html
 >
 > The subtest names aren't consistently generated. It affects most
 > pointerevent_attributes_hoverable_pointers-manual.html and generates a
 > semibogus report consequently.
 >
 > I also suspect some of the tests to potentially have some browser
 > specific quirks/behaviors (eg pointerevent_pointerleave_pen-manual.html).
 >
 > Focusing on Pointer Events 2 additions:
 >
 > - We don't have much test for tangentialPressure and twist. I also don't
 > have a device that makes use of those so I wasn't able to test these
 > twos. Both chrome and Firefox claims to support however as shown in the
 > tests

As I have some devices, I suggested that I could help out with some of
the pen testing.

On 09/07/2018 19:58, Philippe Le Hégaret wrote:
[...]
> Can you generate non-zero values for tangentialPressure and twist in the
> following pointer events monitor:
> https://www.w3.org/2018/07/pointerevents.html

Ok, tried those using my Wacom Intuos S under Win 10 - the art pen/felt
pen has a twist sensor, and the airbrush pen has an additional wheel
that's supposed to work as tangential/barrel pressure setting.

Results so far:

* Edge doesn't seem to have implemented twist nor tangentialPressure
support at all - the properties are missing in generated pointer events;
they attributes thankfully are present in Chrome and Firefox.

* Chrome correctly supports twist (turning the art pen along its axis /
rolling it between my fingers gives me values from 0-359); one oddity is
that this only works when the pen is hovering over the digitizer surface
- as soon as I set the pen down on the digitizer surface, twist resets
to zero and doesn't react to any pen rolling. As I see this also
apparently happening when I'm using Photoshop and the Wacom, I suspect
this MAY be hardware-based limitation (similar to something like palm
rejection), but can't be sure without having a way to see the actual
data/values passed from the hardware/the system API.

* Although Chrome does have the tangentialPressure property, but I can't
seem to get any value other than zero when using the airbrush pen. Not
sure if this is something to do with a bug/imperfect implementation in
Chrome, or perhaps the driver software for the Wacom. I did manage to
check that the wheel on the airbrush does indeed work in Photoshop, but
the way it works maybe is unusual: turning the wheel itself doesn't seem
to change anything directly, but the position of the wheel does
influence other aspects once the pen clicks/touches the digitizer. So
for instance, setting up Photoshop correctly, I can use an airbrush
tool, and while the pen touches the digitizer/presses down, I can use
the wheel to determine the strength of the pressure (see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t85gxJTN_MQ for instance). Not sure how
this is reflected in terms of values passed on via the hardware/system
API though...wondering if Chrome expects values to come in a certain
way, but instead they're only generated in some other way? Or the
plumbing just isn't connected behind the scenes?

* Firefox's PE implementation seems a bit broken still. I noticed, for
one, that hovering a pen/stylus over the digitizer works correctly (and
the pointer is identified as as hovering "pen"), but as soon as the pen
touches the digitizer it's all of a sudden reported as "touch". The
pressure attribute doesn't seem to change either. This happened both
when testing the Wacom and the basic stylus on Surface 3.

* In Firefox, both twist and tangentialPressure are present but remain zero.

Patrick H. Lauke