Re: [pointerevents] Stylus eraser: should it be a new pointerType instead of a button state?

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Mustaq Ahmed via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org> wrote:
>
> It seems pointerType="eraser" model is not as terrible as I commented
> above, see [Dave Fleck's
> reply](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2016JulSep/0327.html)
> in the list.

Here’s the Windows requirement that the pen leave and re-enter in eraser mode - from:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt604235(v=vs.85).aspx

While the pen is within detection range of the digitizer, but not in contact with the screen, activation/deactivation of the erase affordance should be honored. However, direct transitions between the "Pen is in range" and the "Pen is in range with intent to erase" states are not supported, and in this scenario, the pen states must always transition via "Pen is out of range."

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'" -- Isaac Asimov