Re: New webkitmouseforce* events in WebKit

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:47:02 -0700
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
> Does anyone know what is "the user agent’s default force click features"?

Apps (such as Safari) can have different behaviours for actions that are beyond the strength of a normal click. This is not the same as a context menu. For example, Safari shows a popover of a map when you force click on an address, a popover to dial when you force click on a phone number, and a popover preview of a page if you force click on a link. It's actually a bit more complex than that, because the reveal animation of the popover is tied to the amount of pressure the user is applying.

What we were talking about in that patch was a way to prevent this default action (while still allowing the regular click events to fire).

While I'm replying, what has landed now is experimental (and hence has a prefix). I suggest not considering anything final until we make a proposal to a standards body.

Dean