Re: options for eliminating hit-tests for touch pointermove by default

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com> wrote:

> If it is simpler, perhaps there can be a "global opt-in" for a page to
> have implicit capturing enabled?
> Something like PointerEvents.setImplicitCapture(), which implicitly calls
> setPointerCapture and dispatches a `gotpointercapture` event on every new
> `pointerdown`.

The tricky part about global opt-in is that it means no library can ever
assume one model or the other and must always be explicit anyway. And of
course any library which isn't explicit may break on a site that changes
the global behavior.

Assuming we don't come across common scenarios that break with implicit
capture, we may just expect libraries to eventually assume implicit capture
and explicitly code for the cases where they don't want that. This is
similar to libraries needing to adapt to `* { box-sizing: border-box }`
being used on more and more sites.