Re: options for eliminating hit-tests for touch pointermove by default

The nice thing about implicit capture is that it avoids a set of bugs that
developers often overlook. For example, when creating a custom draggable
widget, every developer's first thought is to just bind all events to the
draggable element. Without implicit capture, it's possible to move too
quickly and end up with events being sent to other elements, which can
result in a complete lack of response as the element is no longer receiving
events and therefore stops moving. Because this involves quick movement,
it's often not discovered in initial testing, but rather once the code has
shipped to production. This is the basic logic for several interactions. On
the other hand, in any scenario where implicit capture would prevent the
intended behavior from working, the developer will notice instantly and be
able to fix the mistake.

It will be interesting to see what happens to existing content though if
the default behavior changes. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that
it's mostly a non-issue though. Do we have a list of popular use cases that
require not capturing?