Re: [pointerevents] Support hovering button states

From: Patrick H. Lauke via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:58:59 +0000
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
Expanding the thought, though, we could also consider a hovering
left-click or menu/context click (but not an erase button press) as an
 actual (faked) sequence of `pointerdown` > `pointerup` > `focus` >
`click` sequence, i.e. making it equivalent to the user actually
tapping the screen surface briefly. I assume that this would improve
compatibility for scripts that are listening out for (some of) those
events, making a hovered button press functionally equivalent to an
actual button press with screen contact.

To avoid going into too much detail, we could make an
non-normative/informative boxout right after the table in
https://w3c.github.io/pointerevents/#button-states which suggests that
 some stylus devices also register a hovering stylus, and that UAs on
those devices *MAY* (or *SHOULD* ?) do the above (treat a hovering
button press as an actual tap on the screen, firing the relevant event
 sequences) ? This would have the least impact on the spec (though
would still be a substantive change, I guess).

--
GitHub Notif of comment by patrickhlauke
See