Re: Automating W3C Test Execution with WebDriver for Pointer Events

On 16/06/15 17:46, Rick Byers wrote:
> Thanks for kicking this off Doug,
>
> To me the main issue to discuss is whether / how the WebDriver API
> should be extended to support rich input support (it's really too
> limited at the moment to be that useful for scenarios like pointer events).
>
> I've started a blink-specific thread to discuss using WebDriver in our
> tests here
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#%21topic/blink-dev/0lXHWPF4lD4>.

It would be nice if we could avoid fragmenting the discussion so early.

So:

* Using WebDriver for doing automated testing of (the content area of)
browsers has always been part of the plan going forward.

* How to do this in a really nice way, browser-independent, isn't clear.
All the existing W3C test infrastructure is written in python, so adding
a node dependency would be unwelcome. Making authors write tests
spanning multiple files is also additional overhead compared to the
state of the art in browser-internal test frameworks. The best idea so
far is to attempt an in-browser webdriver implementation that will allow
calling out (via XHR or WS, or something) to an external server
implementing a WebDriver client, that will inject the WebDriver commands
and return the results. I'm sure this can work, but I am a little scared
of the complexity.

* The actions API is being specified to provide lower-level input
support. You can see this in the current spec, but the actual text needs
a bunch of work (more than any other part of the spec).