Re: scroll-delay and/or impact of changing touch-action on the current pointer/touch

Just realized (when reviewing the archive) that I missed this thread -
sorry!  Since this question is really about touch-action,
public-pointerevents is the right place for it.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as allowing touch-action to be changed for
an in-progress gesture.  Touch-action is designed to allow scrolling to
start independently from anything going on in JS, so technically there
would be a race (perhaps you don't actually get a chance to run your JS
before the user starts dragging their finger, and then scrolling would
happen when it wasn't supposed to).

Personally I think this is an example scenario where you really want to be
able to customize the browser's scrolling logic somehow, and yes
scroll-delay is one (contentious) idea I have for how to enable that.

But others in this group will probably disagree and say we should focus on
ensuring browsers have the specific feature you really need.  Eg. what
about using HTML5 drag and drop APIs instead of trying to built it
yourself?  In IE at least (and in Chrome on some platforms) HTML5 DnD can
be triggered with touch via the long press gesture.

Rick