W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pointer-events@w3.org > July to September 2014

Draft minutes: 2014 September 2 call

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:20:07 -0400
Message-ID: <5405EE37.4040303@gmail.com>
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the September 2 voice conference are available at 
the following and copied below:

<http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send 
them to the public-pointer-events mail list before September 9. In the 
absence of any changes, these minutes will be considered approved.

-Thanks, ArtB

W3C <http://www.w3.org/>


  - DRAFT -


  Pointer Events WG Voice Conference


    02 Sep 2014

Agenda 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0086.html>

See also:IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Art_Barstow, Scott_González, Rick_Byers, Doug_Schepers, Olli_Pettay,
    Matt_Brubeck, Cathy_Chan, Jacob_Rossi
Regrets
Chair
    ArtB
Scribe
    ArtB


    Contents

  * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#agenda>
     1. Tweak and agree on agenda
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item01>
     2. Open PRs: plans and status
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item02>
     3. Open Actions re TAs 11.3 and 13.4
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item03>
     4. Status of test case commitments by Microsoft
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item04>
     5. Tests for asynchronous events (10.2, 11.2)
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item05>
     6. Surprising lostpointercapture event test 11.1
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item06>
     7. Pointer Events and Touch Events
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item07>
     8. AoB <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#item08>
  * Summary of Action Items
    <http://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: ArtB


      Tweak and agree on agenda

AB:I posted a draft agenda on August 29 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0086.html>. 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0086.html%3E.>Since 
then PR-1220 was submitted so I propose we include that in the PR 
topics. Any objections to that, or are there any other change requests?


      Open PRs: plans and status

AB:PR-1121; SVG touch-action tests; 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1121> 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1121%3E>; blocked on 
Doug's Action-116 
<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/116> 
<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/116%3E>
... Doug what's the ETA for your review to be completed?

DS:I looked at it

… a bit strange since SVG doesn't directly have scroll

… but it inherits it via HTML (f.ex.)

… I need to mention this to the SVGWG

<scribe>*ACTION:*doug review PR-1121 with the SVGWG and then report 
findings to PEWG [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-120 - Review pr-1121 with the svgwg and then 
report findings to pewg [on Doug Schepers - due 2014-09-09].

AB:if you could expedite that Doug, I would appreciate it
... PR-1124; Updates and new tests for TAs 2.4.1, 3.6, 3.6.1, 4.3, 
4.3.1; <https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1124>. 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1124%3E.>We discussed 
this on August 5 and agreed to continue discussion on the list 
<http://www.w3.org/2014/08/05-pointerevents-minutes.html>. 
<http://www.w3.org/2014/08/05-pointerevents-minutes.html%3E.>
... I believe the related thread is "pointerout and pointerleave after 
pointercancel" 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0044.html>. 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0044.html%3E.>Is 
this ready to be merged or are there any open issues?

CC:I sent a Q to the list

… Jacob replied and he clarified

… I have one minor tweak

… I'll also discuss with Sangwhan

… and then we need someone to review

AB:so, Cathy needs to review and talk to Sangwhan and then we need 
someone to review the PR. Is that right?

CC:yes

<scribe>*ACTION:*Cathy follow up with Sangwhan re PR-1124 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-121 - Follow up with sangwhan re pr-1124 [on 
Cathy Chan - due 2014-09-09].

AB:PR-1215; this fixes work of the checkDirection function in Firefox; 
by @EvgenyAgafonchikov; 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1215/>. 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1215/%3E.>Has anyone 
reviewed this
... would someone please agree to take an action to review this?

JR:this could be someone from MS Open Tech but I'm not sure

<smaug> back

MB:the change looks trivial

AB:trivial enough that we could agree on this call to merge it?

MB:yes, I think so.

AB:any objections to the merge?

[ None ]

AB:Matt, please merge it

MB:will do

AB:thanks Matt!
... PR-1220; Assertions 4.3 and 5.3; 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1220>; 
<https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1220%3E;>by 
@ArtemAntonets ; discussion thread is 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0093.html>. 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0093.html%3E.>
... Jacob, what's the status of this PR?

JR:I'll have to check with Artem

… if there is a duplicate, we'll need to drop a file

<scribe>*ACTION:*Jacob follow up with Artem re PR-1220 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-122 - Follow up with artem re pr-1220 [on 
Jacob Rossi - due 2014-09-09].

AB:anything else on open PRs?


      Open Actions re TAs 11.3 and 13.4

AB:I have Action-117 and Action-118 to issue a call for a volunteer to 
create a tests for TAs 11.3 and 13.4 
(<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/117> 
<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/117%3E>, 
<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/118>) 
<https://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/track/actions/118%3E%29>
... I didn't make that call since I believe Scott said he would 
investigate these two after he returned. I think we also previously 
discussed if these two assertions could be considered more like `stress 
tests` and hence not part of the CR testing.
... any comments these two TAs?

SG:these should be easy to write tests for

JR:I'll need to look at them

SG:there was a recent thread about this

… (I'll look for the archive link)

JR:we don't have anything in the pipeline for these

<scott_gonzalez>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0091.html

SG:I asked for more details

AB:not clear to me, what - if anything - needs to be done (with the spec)

SG:see his latest 
replyhttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0094.html

RB:I can see there is a contradiction here

AB:Jacob, would you please reply?

JR:yes; there could be a contradiction; I'll need to review it

<scribe>*ACTION:*Jacob reply 
tohttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0094.html[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-123 - Reply 
tohttp://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-pointer-events/2014julsep/0094.html[on 
Jacob Rossi - due 2014-09-09].

SG:I think we just need to update the table

… I can reply to thread and suggest updating the table and if that will 
address his concern

RB:I think that's a good way forward

AB:ok, so Scott, please do reply to Maksim and Jacob, please do update 
the table
... so Scott, can you write tests for 11.3 and 13.4?

SG:yes; but I first want to verify the scope of the tests

[ Scott expands on his context concern ]

JR:I think what you suggested is ok

<scribe>*ACTION:*Scott create tests for assertions 11.3 and 13.4 
[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-124 - Create tests for assertions 11.3 and 
13.4 [on Scott González - due 2014-09-09].


      Status of test case commitments by Microsoft

AB:assertion 5.3 
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/PointerEvents/TestAssertions#Test_Assertions_for_pointermove_events> 
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/PointerEvents/TestAssertions#Test_Assertions_for_pointermove_events%3E>is 
covered by PR-1220 so we already discussed this.
... Jacob, Asir, what's the status of tests for assertions 
15.{11,18,19,20} 
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/PointerEvents/TestAssertions#Test_Assertions_for_touch-action_CSS_property> 
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/PointerEvents/TestAssertions#Test_Assertions_for_touch-action_CSS_property%3E>

JR:I think we have tests for all of these

… I think we can remove the last assertion

… I propose we delete the "To-be-added"

AB:any objections to that deletion?

[ None ]

<scribe>*ACTION:*barstow remove the empty assertion at the bottom of the 
touch-action CSS property table [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-125 - Remove the empty assertion at the bottom 
of the touch-action css property table [on Arthur Barstow - due 2014-09-09].

AB:will be expect one new PR for these tests?

JR:yes, I think so and should come in this week

AB:ok; great


      Tests for asynchronous events (10.2, 11.2)

AB:anyone know Maksim?

OP:he is MS Open Tech working on FF impl

SG:he does have a microsoft.com address

JR:yes, he does work for MS Open Tech

AB:Maksim Lebedev <alessarik@gmail.com> asked about the tests for 
assertions 10.2 and 11.2 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0068.html> 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0068.html%3E>

OP:I sent some comments to the list just now

… I agree there is a test issue

… the test needs to be fixed

JR:where did this test originate?

SG:I submitted this test

JR:this is tricky to test

… I would just test for the asynch property and then `call it good`

OP:think there is a way to test this

[ Olli describes a fix ]

JR:yes, that could be done

OP:event handler can change the value of the flag

SG:we can make that change

OP:think that we would be good enough

[ Jacob describes some old/obsolete behavior with just synch events ]

SG:I can submit a PR to fix these

<scribe>*ACTION:*Scott submit a PR to address Maksim's comment 
inhttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0068.html[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-126 - Submit a pr to address maksim's comment 
inhttp://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-pointer-events/2014julsep/0068.html[on 
Scott González - due 2014-09-09].


      Surprising lostpointercapture event test 11.1

AB:Maksim Lebedev <alessarik@gmail.com> also asked about the test for 
assertion 11.1 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0069.html> 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0069.html%3E>

SG:this is exactly the same as we just discussed

OP:I think there is a need for spec change

JR:yes, that's fine; this is the same as discussed earlier

AB:do we need a new action?

JR:no, I think the previous action I took will take care of this


      Pointer Events and Touch Events

DS:will we have the impls we need to get to REC?

JR:yes, IE

MB:yes, Metro

DS:then we should proceed

AB:yes, I agree


      AoB

AB:probably don't need a call on Sept 9 and I have a conflict on Sept 16 
so there won't be a call that day

… please address open actions

… Thanks everyone!

… Meeting adjourned


    Summary of Action Items

*[NEW]**ACTION:*barstow remove the empty assertion at the bottom of the 
touch-action CSS property table [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action06]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Cathy follow up with Sangwhan re PR-1124 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action02]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*doug review PR-1121 with the SVGWG and then report 
findings to PEWG [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action01]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Jacob follow up with Artem re PR-1220 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action03]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Jacob reply 
tohttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0094.html[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action04]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Scott create tests for assertions 11.3 and 13.4 
[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action05]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Scott submit a PR to address Maksim's comment 
inhttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014JulSep/0068.html[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/09/02-pointerevents-minutes.html#action07]

[End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 2 September 2014 16:20:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:48:10 UTC