Re: Browsers, Developers and Pointer Events Meeting Notes

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:50:59 -0400
To: Arthur Stolyar <nekr.fabula@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Arthur Stolyar <nekr.fabula@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One more thing.
>
> I understand that separation scroll and touch-move is one of base goals of
> pointer events. But can we have options to disable threaded scroll and give
> control over scroll to developers? I mean full control. Ability to
> stop/resume scrolling in any time while pointer is active and so on.
> May be CSS property which disables threaded scroll and then control that
> scroll via JS inside pointermove events.

I've got a rough proposal for exactly that sort of thing (I called it
"scroll-delay") here:
https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1aOQRw76C0enLBd0mCG_-IM6bso7DxXwvqTiRWgNdTn8/edit.
 I personally don't see any reason why carefully engineered apps shouldn't
be allowed to opt-in to 'scroll-delay: pointermove' causing scrolling to be
synchronous with event handling.  I'd love any feedback folks have on the
proposal.