Re: "List of Pointer Events" table default actions

On 28/02/2014 23:45, Jacob Rossi wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I think this got addressed with the update I made in response to Anne’s
> feedback. Most instances of “dispatch”are now “fire” except when
> referring the specific act of “event dispatch,” which is a technical
> term defined in DOM4. A reference to that definition is also now in the
> Pointer Events spec. Let me know if this doesn’t address the concern.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/rev/1667331a62ff

Maybe I'm being dense, but I'll try to explain a bit better what my
concern is here...it's not about whether it says "dispatch" or "fire" (I
see now that in the latest version it does indeed now read "fire"). It's
the fact that, as a developer, I look at the table
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/raw-file/tip/pointerEvents.html#list-of-pointer-events
, see that the only pointer event that has a default action of "...plus
firing of compatibility mouse events" is pointerdown, and think "Aha, so
the mouse compat events are fired all after pointerdown, just like in
touch events model they're all fired after touchend"...where of course
that's nonsense, as the note right after the table also says.

In short, I'm still not getting why we're singling out pointerdown to be
the only one that has "plus firing of compatibility mouse events" in its
default action.

Maybe it's me...but I'm having a hard time understanding why that bit is
there in the table, and only for pointerdown. Maybe if you could
paraphrase for me what that bit of text is supposed to convey, and why
only on pointerdown?

Patrick H. Lauke