Re: Exception usage

From: Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 08:54:38 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, public-pointer-events@w3.org
> Over in DOM/IDL land we are still unsure around DOMException and
> especially new names for it.
Could you give us a pointer to the latest documentation or discussion on
this?  Is there any consensus emerging around an alternative?

> Given that the semantics of your exception perfectly match JavaScript's built-in RangeError exception I strongly recommend using that over minting something new.
We're open to changing this, though we might want to double-check that
there isn't too much existing content depending on the shipping
implementation in IE11.  (We expect there is not.)

However, we're not sure that RangeError is really a perfect match.
Active pointerIds do not necessarily form a contiguous range.  For
example, 5 and 7 might be valid arguments to setPointerCapture, while 6
is invalid.  It seems surprising for setPointerCapture(6) to throw a
RangeError in that case.  Is there any other existing DOM or ECMAScript
error that is a better fit?