Re: Pointer Events types and keyboard/keyboard-like interfaces?

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 15:36:37 +0000
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
CC: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
On 06/01/2014 15:22, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:> Speaking of philosophy,
though...what if you consider
 > keyboard/keyboard-like interfaces to simply be another type of mechanism
 > for the user to move a "pointer" around the screen? Rather than being a
 > little arrow (as would be the case with a physical mouse), it's a focus
 > rectangle, but conceptually it still serves the purpose of letting the
 > user "point" to something to indicate what will receive an action (mouse
 > button click for instance, or hitting space/enter on the keyboard)?

Additionally, for what it's worth, Opera's spatial navigation
implementation (in Presto) did pretty much the same as I'm proposing:
firing mouse-events when the user moved the spatnav rectangle. In some
cases (such as Opera-based TV browsers) this was the only input
mechanism, and worked fairly well (barring a few situations that did
require some DevRel outreach at the time when I worked there).

-- Patrick H. Lauke