RE: gotpointercapture/lostpointercapture on <button>s in IE

Most browsers intrinsically take a form of capture when you click a control (provides a better touch experience if your finger slips a bit as it lifts in a tap, for example). IE essentially does this by setting pointer capture. We just didn't do the work to special case this such that the events don't fire (though, arguably, it's good that they do). I think this is more of an implementation specific kind of thing that doesn't really belong in the spec.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:35 AM
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
Subject: gotpointercapture/lostpointercapture on <button>s in IE

Possibly an implementation-specific question for Jacob, but I was

This behavior doesn't seem to be documented in the current PE spec. Can I just check what the rationale behind IE's firing of those events on those types of elements is? Want to make sure it's not something we should be including (and yes, I'm just morbidly curious anyway).

Cheers,

Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com