gotpointercapture/lostpointercapture on <button>s in IE

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:35:04 +0100
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
Possibly an implementation-specific question for Jacob, but I was
wondering: in IE, it seems that tapping a <button> element (and
presumably other specific elements like <input>s) fires
gotpointercapture and lostpointercapture by default, without any
programmatic setting of pointer capture (but if I swap out the element
for, say, a <div> these events don't fire by themselves unless I
explicitly set pointer capture).

This behavior doesn't seem to be documented in the current PE spec. Can
I just check what the rationale behind IE's firing of those events on
those types of elements is? Want to make sure it's not something we
should be including (and yes, I'm just morbidly curious anyway).

Cheers,

Patrick H. Lauke